Weight training or strength training can be the best way for anybody to put on some muscles. Muscular fitness is extremely important for overall fitness and being leaner and stronger as well. Weight training gets the muscles to work or contract in a certain way. The more it contracts the more it develops. In fact a lot of experts say that strength is simply the product of tension and reps.
Weight training and muscle fitness:
The basic principle of weight training for muscle fitness is the fact that the muscles need to take some overload. Once the muscle gets used to this amount, then more load needs to be added on. Such increments will continually take place for optimum and sustained muscular fitness. There are 2 ways in which the muscle can be loaded – either through more weight or through more repetitions.
The different ways of doing weight training:
It is possible to develop specific muscles of the body with specific weight training exercises. A combination of an intensive workout regime under the guidance of a fitness instructor and the right diet can contribute to muscular fitness.
- For the arms, you can do pull downs and curls. You can also add dips.
- Try bench press and raises – both lateral and front for the upper body or chest and shoulders.
- The abdominal muscles respond best to crunches – traditional reverse crunches and sit ups. While doing reverse crunches you can add some ankle weights. There is also the leg lift which can be made more difficult with the ankle weights again.
- For the back muscles, there are lats and pull ups.
- Extra weight training exercises that you can do are squats, snatches and lunges. Deadlifts are also good for the muscles.
How will weight training help with the muscles?
- It is extremely important to know the difference between overloading a muscle and stressing it to the point where it will tear. So start small, and always be aware of the fine line between healthy stress and injury.
- It is enough to do weight training sessions 2 or 3 times a week. The muscles need time to come back to their resting stage after they have been strained by the weights. Only then they will be ready for doing more during the next session.
- Weight training should be done in reps or cycles. So if you were to pump dumbbells, say 5 times, then rest for a minute and then do another 5. The resting period is important and one of the ways in which you can ensure that your muscles are getting the right amount of rest is to alternate weight training sessions. For instance, you could work out the entire upper body region on one day and the lower body region the next day.
- It is important to be aware of and practice a few things while doing weight training: breathe throughout the session and never hold your breath, be aware of posture and always let the muscles do the lifting and not the momentum. Warming up and cooling down is more essential to preserve muscle strength and prevent injuries.